Thursday, October 6, 2016

Intentional Kindness

 

After church, one morning, I went to retrieve four-year-old Jonathan from his class. His teacher asked to speak with me for a moment. I wondered if Jonathan had done something wrong. My mind momentarily went into defense mode, but I patiently waited to see what she had to say. She took me by surprise when her eyes began to tear up. She said that they had a new child visit class that day. He was blind. She said the other children stared at first; then, they went about their play, ignoring him. He couldn’t participate in the same way they did. Jonathan was the one exception. She said he asked the boy if he would like to build something with him. When the child said yes, Jonathan guided him to the blocks. They sat down and played and laughed.  When the visiting family came to pick up their son, they were thrilled that he had found a new friend.

The teacher praised my husband and me for teaching Jonathan to be sensitive to the needs of others, especially those who were “different”. My mother’s pride welled up within me for a few minutes, but then I realized that we weren’t responsible. God had placed a tender spot, within him, that naturally reached out to those in need.

I like to think that I am kind to all people. But, I was compelled to question myself that day. Did I intentionally look for opportunities to engage those who might feel excluded from social interactions, or did I allow perceived differences to keep them at a distance? Jesus didn’t just give the shunned lepers a kind word; He embraced them. In his own way, little Jonathan did the same thing with a blind child. If a four-year-old instinctively responds with intentional kindness, why don’t I?

No comments:

Post a Comment