Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Enough?


Blog:  When is Enough, Enough?

Our master bathroom was undergoing renovation. While dealing with the demo mess, my husband and I were relegated to the guest bathroom. As I was getting ready to go out one morning, I became frustrated. Jack and I were vying for room around the one available sink. In my angst, I said, “How did anyone ever get ready before dual sink bathrooms?” It just took a moment before we both started to laugh. We had just returned from visiting our son’s family in Eastern Europe. They live in a country that is identified as a functional third world nation. Our son, and his wife, have four young children. His family, of six, is grateful for running water and electricity, because much of the country is not blessed with these simple amenities. A dual sink? Such a luxury is beyond the imagination of much of the world.

I must confess; I am spoiled! I don’t even know how to distinguish between the things that I truly need and those I just want. I feel entitled to many things that the world, beyond our borders, doesn’t even realize exist. We live in a home of about 2200 square feet. In our area, this is considered small. As we visited our son, he said, “Mom, you and dad don’t need that big house. You could easily live in 600 square feet.” I managed to pick my jaw up, off the floor, before he saw it, or at least I think I did. I don’t know if there are any apartments that small in our area, much less a house. The truth is, I don’t want to find out. I got claustrophobic just imagining it. 

My son’s family is blessed with an understanding of what is enough. His wife prepares dinner for the family each night and includes guests, three or four nights a week. She puts forth a generous delicious spread. It is all prepared in a kitchen that is about 5’ x 6’. She has a small refrigerator and very little cabinet space. The counter space is almost non-existent, and the sink doesn’t drain without a plunger to move it along. To add to that, the children want to help cook, and she encourages it. The kitchen is just a microcosm of the differences in their home and lives. The family does not feel deprived, and they live with a sense of contentment. They understand the meaning of enough.
As a mom, I am proud. My son is now teaching me. I may not be ready to sell out and move into a 600 square foot home yet, but he has prompted thought. I am reevaluating my definition of “enough”. And, maybe, that is enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment