Thursday, March 9, 2017

You Want Me to Go WHERE, God?


Finding God’s Way


When I went off to college, for the first time, I was filled with excitement and apprehension. This was a time for adult decisions, like what am I supposed to do with the rest of my life. That’s true of most college freshmen, but I was also a Christ-follower. I wanted to live according to His direction; I just wasn’t sure what that was. However, for a few years, I had the sneaking suspicion that God was going to send me into full-time Christian service. At the time, I had only one female model for that, and it was not comforting.

The Walker sisters, had given their lives to medical missions in Nigeria. Every four years they would return to their home church, and mine, to tell us about their experiences on the field. Using the day’s best technology, slides, they showed pictures of the country, its people, and their own living quarters. As nurses, they were constantly traveling from one village to another, so they lived in tents. One visual, that permanently implanted itself into my psyche, was a picture of the largest snake I had ever seen. It visited their tent one night. They were untouched, but I was afraid of even a garter snake. You can imagine what this did to my imagination.

Since the Walker sisters were the only models I had of women, in ministry, I began to fear it. God could not possibly be calling me to this, could He? As I was first entering my life as a university student, the gnawing idea that this would have to be decided relatively soon, frightened me even further.

I looked forward to my second weekend at Middle Tennessee State University. I was going on a weekend retreat planned by the Baptist Student Ministry. This was a great way to meet others with similar values.

The weekend was all that I expected and more. I met a lot of great people, both students and adult leaders who were committed to mentoring us if we needed it. The weekend was full of fun with plenty of opportunities to engage with other students. There was also Bible study that was directed towards our lives as we began this new transition toward independence.

One afternoon, after an intense study, it was suggested that we go find a place to be alone with the Lord. I walked out into the woods surrounding the retreat site. I found a downed tree to use as my prayer altar. In the midst of prayer, the Lord asked if I was ready to follow His call on my life. He showed me that I had nothing to fear when walking in His path. No snake was too big for Him. I finally realized the absurdity of thinking that God couldn’t handle one of His own creatures. I said, with a loud resounding voice, “Yes, God! I’ll follow you wherever you lead. I’ll go to Africa.” It was a joyful relief just saying that with confidence. But then the Lord took me off guard. I could almost sense a smile on His face as He said, “I don’t want you in Africa.”

When I got up from my prayer stoop, I went to find one of our counselors. I told him about my encounter with God. I told him that I was totally confused. Why would God call me to something and then say, “No, thank you”? The counselor reminded me of the story of Abraham and Isaac. God told Abraham to offer his only son, as a sacrifice, to his Heavenly Father. When God saw that Abraham was ready to do whatever he was called to do, in obedience to his Lord, God stopped him. He didn’t want the death of Isaac, but Abraham had to be willing to follow His lead, regardless of the sacrifice required. The counselor said, “Perhaps, that’s what God needed from you”.

Yes, the weekend provided all that I expected and much more. There’s no reason to fear when following God’s plan for one’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment