Thursday, March 23, 2017

Can You Identify the Real Mrs. Carver?


The Wrong Mrs. Carver

I walked into my fifth-grade classroom and was surprised to find a student already there. He was sitting on the window sill talking to one on the outside. Before he realized I was there, he said, “Come here, Mrs. Carver.” I didn’t understand why he was talking to me as if I was outside, but I said, “What did you say?” He had a startled look as if he was caught doing something that he shouldn’t. When I questioned him again, he said, “I wasn’t talking to you.” I told him that I had distinctly heard him say my name. Looking a little embarrassed, he told me that he was talking with the neighbor’s emu. He went on to explain that the kids had named it after me. How does one respond to that?

The emu was something of an annoyance to all but the students. The principal had spoken to the farmer whose land abutted the school property. He explained to the gentleman that both the school and the farmer could be sued if the animal hurt a child. Since there were some students on the playground at most anytime during the day, this was a cause of concern. He insisted that the man keep the emu locked up. This particular emu was something of an escape artist. Even though she was in a confined space, she continued to break free, and she had endeared herself to the children. So, they named her.

About a week later I entered the school building and noticed that faculty members were looking at me in shock, through their tears. I was told that the children said that I was dead. The cause of misinformation was soon discovered. When the principal arrived at the school that morning, he found the emu on campus. This was one time too many. The farmer had been warned. The principal was determined to get the animal off of the property before the students arrived. He chased after it until the animal collapsed. It was dead. Apparently, emus have bodies that are too large for their hearts to take much stress. When the principal ran after it, the animal died. The first student arrived before the bird’s remains could be removed. Word quickly spread…Mrs. Carver was dead!

Misinformation can lead to rumors, and sometimes, unnecessary alarm. It does not lead to effective education. Communication requires that the listener understands what the speaker is trying to say, not just the definition of her words. So, if you want to make sure that your listeners understand what you really intend to convey, ask a few questions. It may prevent you from proclaiming the death of the wrong Mrs. Carver.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment