Thursday, December 1, 2016

What's Important?



Relevance may be the most important memory stimulator we have in terms of motivation. If we don’t view something as relevant, why should we even try to remember it? In school, some students may be so grade-driven that this is all of the motivation needed, but for most of us, there must be something more sustainable.

My son’s high school Geometry teacher understood the importance of relevance. His first assignment was aimed at helping students see the reason for learning the material, aside from the immediate grade. His students had two weeks to find ten professions that utilized geometry. They were to ask people if knowledge of geometry ever came in handy in their profession. I remember my son coming home, in total shock, from the orthodontist. Yes, this doctor utilized geometry when considering spacing for teeth. Who knew?

Math was not my son’s strong-suit, but I believe his success in geometry was due, in part, to the fact that he realized the relevance that this subject had for many professionals. Since he didn't know what he wanted to do with his life, he understood that he might end up choosing something that used geometry. He wisely chose to memorize those theorems.

Another helpful way to insure memory is to write something down. It’s not particularly helpful to copy what someone else has written. The "memory chip” is activated when we take something that we’ve learned and write it down in our own words. Formulating our own thoughts, and attaching those to the instruction that we’ve had, creates meaning for us.
In my classroom, Friday’s were generally test days. I would always incorporate one discussion question. This was not an opportunity for them to regurgitate facts to me. It was a chance for them to take the material and create personal meaning from it. After studying about a country that was impoverished, I remember a student saying, "I never thought about my drinking water. Now, I can’t turn on the spigot without thanking God I don’t have to walk for miles in search of some that may or may not be fit for drinking.” Another said something like this: I have recited the pledge of allegiance to the flag every morning of my school experience and seldom considered what I was saying. Now, I realize it symbolizes freedom that much of the world has no understanding of. I’m grateful I was born an American.

In evaluating their tests, I noted the ones who presented the most personal meaning from the study were the same ones who could accurately share the facts. Why? The writing, with the meaning, imprinted a lasting memory.

Relevance and creating meaning are tied closely together. Writing down how material relates and what it means personally, will enhance memory. Nightly journaling is a good way to improve memory while leaving a written record of things in case you require a memory boost.

No comments:

Post a Comment