Thursday, December 22, 2016

What is Your Next Step Going to Be?



You probably don’t recall your very first step as a toddler, but I bet your parents do. They could probably retell the story in detail. They were excited. It was an accomplishment, a sign of healthy development. And, a first step implies that there will be more.

Since that time, you have experienced many firsts, haven’t you? Again, that suggests that there will be a second step, third, and on. Most can get excited over the beginning of a new idea or challenge. But, what was once new and exciting eventually becomes routine. Nobody claps when you walk across a room anymore. It’s old hat. So what? Everybody walks; that’s no great triumph.

But, there’s always a “next” step to be taken if you’re willing. As we mature, we sometimes become complacent. It’s often referred to as our “comfort zone”. Why look toward a next step when I’m doing so well at this level? Why stress myself when I’m not sure of success with the “next” step. What if I fall flat on my face? After years of experience, I know that even if I am successful, the cheering won’t last. That success will become the expected. What was once a challenge is now just routine. Yes, I hear that sigh. You understand all too well. So, what’s the point?

The next step! That is the point. Each step is a mark of healthy development. It is stimulating. It takes you closer to a new farther-reaching target. Will you be a little uncomfortable as you stretch yourself and grow? Yes! But those growing pains will lead to new heights you may not have imagined. And, eventually, it will lead to yet another comfort zone. But, don’t stay there too long. With too much ease comes atrophy. Get up, and take the next step. I’m clapping for you; can you hear it?


No comments:

Post a Comment